EV Club Monthly Giveaway: 2017-11

Club Total:

Description:

MR2ZEV Cash

Value:

disssapointment with current commercial EV design.

Latest EV News and Hot Topics

Moderator: kchiang

disssapointment with current commercial EV design.

Postby crite40 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Good day all! I was just looking through the latest commercial EV's on the site and, once again, I am VERY
upset at the almost total lack of imagination and proper engineering principles shown by the big EV makers.
Fundamentally they are ALL "Gas Buggy's" with an electric motor.
They still have differentials taking up weight and reducing power. They have (in almost all cases, a single
motor) hence the diff. They are simply not properly designed as an electric vehicle.
A REAL electric vehicle would use light alloys and composites (where economical) would be designed for the
real current usage of most EV's, for shorter trips and lighter loads. This would make the whole car MUCH cheaper
and would mean, that as in my own case the big "Gas guzzler" is only used for longer trips and heavy loads.
I've just come back from an 8 Km shopping trip in my little EV. It got me onto town as fast as the big SW
I also have, was very easy to park and cost virtually nothing to run as it is now charging up from our winter sunshine.
A reasonable estimate is that it saves about 1/2 the gas usage on my Gas car and over 70% of the short trips.
Now if everyone just did that, think of the savings worldwide. Of course my car is homebrew and cost me only about $600.
The running costs are about $200 PA including SLA battery replacement and tyres (16" large size bike tyres).
BTW wasn't there a South African designed car that was properly designed, with in wheel motors on the market at
one time? Is it still around?
As for electric bikes. I have a 24 volt one myself. There is a BIG design flaw though. The motor has too low a planetary
gear ratio and the hill climbing ability is VERY restricted. What Electric bikes need to do most is help on the hills (especially
on steep ones). That would make them a lot more popular in hilly countries like New Zealand.
crite40

Re: disssapointment with current commercial EV design.

Postby kchiang » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 am

crite40 wrote:Good day all! I was just looking through the latest commercial EV's on the site and, once again, I am VERY
upset at the almost total lack of imagination and proper engineering principles shown by the big EV makers.
Fundamentally they are ALL "Gas Buggy's" with an electric motor.
They still have differentials taking up weight and reducing power. They have (in almost all cases, a single
motor) hence the diff. They are simply not properly designed as an electric vehicle.
A REAL electric vehicle would use light alloys and composites (where economical) would be designed for the
real current usage of most EV's, for shorter trips and lighter loads. This would make the whole car MUCH cheaper
and would mean, that as in my own case the big "Gas guzzler" is only used for longer trips and heavy loads.
I've just come back from an 8 Km shopping trip in my little EV. It got me onto town as fast as the big SW
I also have, was very easy to park and cost virtually nothing to run as it is now charging up from our winter sunshine.
A reasonable estimate is that it saves about 1/2 the gas usage on my Gas car and over 70% of the short trips.
Now if everyone just did that, think of the savings worldwide. Of course my car is homebrew and cost me only about $600.
The running costs are about $200 PA including SLA battery replacement and tyres (16" large size bike tyres).
BTW wasn't there a South African designed car that was properly designed, with in wheel motors on the market at
one time? Is it still around?
As for electric bikes. I have a 24 volt one myself. There is a BIG design flaw though. The motor has too low a planetary
gear ratio and the hill climbing ability is VERY restricted. What Electric bikes need to do most is help on the hills (especially
on steep ones). That would make them a lot more popular in hilly countries like New Zealand.

Hello crite40 from New Zealand!
Do you mean the commercial electric cars in this blog post? http://914electric.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/new-green-crop/
It is impressive that you converted your electric car for only $600! When you have time, do you mind adding your car to the EV club for all of us to see your work? I agree with you mostly that EVs can and should be designed to be much lighter weight to save electricity, but I think they should be longer range (like the Tesla Model S) if they are going to replace gas cars. I love my converted electric MR2 and do 80% of my driving in it, but I still have to keep my gas car around, along with the cost of maintenance, insurance, registration, for those days when I have to go places that is beyond the reach of the 70-90 mile range. I envision a world with most of the cars on the roads are electric and a renewable charging infrastructure to support their use, Tesla is working on a much lower cost Gen III sedan http://www.teslamotors.com/it_CH/forum/forums/gen-iii, and I am super excited about that!
kchiang
President

Return to News and Hot Topics